Thursday 29 November 2012

The Monks Cowl Walk (Monday 19Nov12)

Today was my last day in the Drakensberg Mountains and so after a bit of breakfast and loading up the car we headed to Monks Cowl for a four hour walk. We had to store all of our valuables in the secret compartments of the hilux. The security measures taken over here still make me nervous and when Jacqui said that the thatchers that were working near the car park were watching our every move I got more concerned. It probably doesn't help that two weeks ago Jacqui was broken into and things like the TV and laptop were taken. After all the stories I have heard first hand I do understand why the white South Africans have had enough of the crime over here. There are two sides to every story, and there are good people here of all races, unfortunately the minority spoil it but I guess that is the same everywhere you go.

It was a hot morning and although I had sun tan lotion on I could still feel myself getting a bit burnt on my shoulders whilst we walked. We saw a mare and a stallion with their fowl about ten minutes into our walk and as we carried on walking they started to gallop across the valley behind us. I should have filmed it with my camera it was such a beautiful scene. A bit further on and we could here the sounds on running water from the river below us. We past a few people along the way but not many so it was very peaceful. After an hour or so we perched on some rocks in the shade and ate the slices of watermelon we had taken with us. It was well needed as the heat was making the trek harder than the day before. We heard the sounds of Baboon above us and sure enough a whole family of them sat above us in the trees.

We eventually reached the waterfall we had been aiming for after about two and a half hours. I hear the running water and feel the spray before I even got to the waterfall. The forest around it was wet and damp with moss covering the rocks and trees. Sally climbed over the slippery rocks to get to the bottom of the waterfall and I reluctantly followed behind. The spray was absolutely freezing but refreshing after the heat from the valley. My clothes, skin and hair were all damp by the end and I couldn't go underneath as the force of the spray took my breath away.

The trek back to the car took a lot less time as it was a bit cooler than when we set off. After a loo break we headed for The Valley Bakery after Jacqui's recommendation. The place was lovely and quaint with a large veranda round the converted farm house. I couldn't resist buying a pack of six Chelsea buns, which actually could have acted as a door stop, and some fresh brown rolls. My Greek salad was nice but my horlicks milkshake was better!

I feel asleep again on the drive back to Durban and when I woke up there was a blanket of grey cloud covering the sky. It was twenty degrees, ten less than the Drakensberg! By the time we got back to the house it was dark and misty. I spent a bit of time sorting out the broken lock on the Hilux as it had broken at the bakery whilst the girls sorted out the baggage. Once Rose and Jacqui had gone home Sally and I ate a cheese roll each whilst scouring the internet for Kruger safari ideas., however, the Chelsea buns were left untouched.

This is the view I woke up to.


We had a few noisy visitors in the morning.

The horse family.


Rose, Jacqui and Sally in the forest near the waterfall.

Me in the forest near the waterfall.

Looking back on where we walked!

Sally was the first one to get close to the freezing waterfall.

Sally and I at the bottom of the waterfall.

Me and Sally.

A White-Stripped Skink.

These were my Chelsea buns that were like door stoppers. Amazing buns though!




No comments:

Post a Comment