Monday 5 November 2012

Home Comforts (Friday 02Nov12)

So today I packed my case and said my goodbyes at UmPhafa and headed for Emilene’s. The only hiccup on the way was when I realised the fuel gauge was telling me I was on empty so I had to pull off of the N3 and follow the sat nav to the nearest petrol station. I was headed for a tiny little farming community called Cornelia and I past the “petrol station” because I couldn't see anything there and then had to do a big circle back round praying to god that I wouldn’t break down in the middle of nowhere. It turns out the “petrol station” was two pumps next to the only convenience store in the town hidden behind a couple of outbuildings. The people there were really nice and friendly which calmed me down ready for the last leg of my drive. I re-set my sat nav and headed back to the N3 which had been a really straight motorway with nothing but open space as far as the eye could see from Harrismith, with just the odd toll booth along the way. It was an amazing feeling when the Johannesburg sky line came into view and I started to see civilisation all around me. More cars on the motorway, lots of houses either side of the road, and big tall buildings in the distance. It really did feel nice to be back in the hustle and bustle again. When I got to the industrial area going round Johannesburg to Pretoria I even enjoyed the four lanes and the stopping and starting of the rush hour traffic. Something I would usually curse about back home. I could also recognise some of the company names on the front of buildings, MAN, Johnson and Johnson, L’Oreal, Vodacom, MTN, Nokia, Siemens, BMW, and many more.

I managed to fill up the tank and get back to Avis before it closed at six. I had the happiest petrol pump attendant ever. They have changed quite a few road names, costing millions, much to the annoyance of the local people, so I was really grateful to Emilene for giving me the old name for Francis Baard Street, Shoeman Street, as I would never have made it otherwise. It does seem such a waste of money when there are other things the govenment could spend the money on. As I pulled in front of Avis so to did Emilene. It fantastic to finally meet her in person after all the years we had talked on the phone and via VC at work.
The flat that Emilene shares with her Mum, Kate, is so lovely. It’s cosy and has lots of little trinkets and beautiful things like the tree branch that hangs from the corner of the ceiling with Christmas baubles hanging from it, the decorated elephants, the candles and cushions. Emilene’s head board is decorated with rose lights. They have lots of wonderful dark wood and throws around the flat too. The bathroom has lovely natural stones and pretty wire art on the walls. Best of all Emilene has two rabbits, one of them I have dubbed Stuart Little as he is pure white with blue eyes and he is absolutely adorable.
While Emilene and I chatted and made a fuss of the rabbits Kate made a wonderful dinner of roast chicken with a vegetable stir-fry of green beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, bacon and sesame seeds. It was amazing. They both speak Africans so I am hoping that I will pick up some words and phrases while I am here. For example Geluk is happiness.
Emilene's bed with the rose rights on. So pretty.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment