Friday 2 November 2012

My Last Day at UmPhafa (Thursday 01Nov12)

So today was my last day at UmPhafa. I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone here. Rachel and Liam, Carolynne, Michael, Vukani and Fiona. I have met some amazing people and have done some amazing things.

My last day was spent hiking round Leopards Gorge to look at the footage from all the camera traps we had set up. It was nice to do this one last time. Well done to Liam's mates who pulled themselves out of bed with a hangover to do it too. Hats off!

It's amazing how protective I have become of this place. On our way to pick up the last camera trap on the other end of the reserve we pulled over as two guys seemed to be checking out the place from the side of the N3. I immediately thought of poachers and all of us were ready to back Liam up as he got out of the truck to find out what these guys were up to. Apparently, they were just looking for the school, then when we saw them again a bit further up the road after checking for snares they said they were collecting their cattle. We were taking pictures of the number plate, them, and we were all glaring at them. My concern was that we had already found loads of leopard tracks and were on our way to the storm drain he uses under the N3 to move from property to property. Sure enough when we got there we found tracks that were no more than a few days old. Unfortunately the camera hadn't picked anything up much to everyones disappointment. But it was still so exciting. He is a big leopard too. I want to name him Shadow as his prints are often found, but he manages to avoid getting caught on camera all the time.

Tonight was a few drinks up at Liam and Rachel's with their friends and Nish after my very last night drive. It's sad to go, but it is time to move on and see other places and meet other people. Tomorrow, a new chapter begins.

Camera Trap Pictures
 

Caracal


Duiker
 
I'm a bit gutted as the films of the Kudu were taking too long to up load but there were some fab ones of them climbing underneath the fence onto the reserve.
 
My Day Photo's
 
The Views from the top of the reserve.


You can just make out Colenso from here.

The first of many leopard prints.
 
The Night Drive

One Giraffe

One Reedbuck.

Zebra on the rye field.

No comments:

Post a Comment